There are a couple of instruments that I didn't get to finish until recently. Most of the work was done, but the hardware I had to order was extremely delayed. Anyway, I finally got all I needed and was able to complete the instruments and proceed to string them up, calibrate and fine-tune everything.
The first one was the bass that was ordered after the first prototype. This one has a mahogany/ash body with a rosewood top. The neck is wenge/mahogany/maple with a spruce core and carbon fiber reinforcements. 22 frets, and 12'' fingerboard radius. This time the head is all maple.
The pickups are Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's, one P-bass and one J-bass. The electronics are either standard passive -two volumes, one tone- or active -2 volumes + 3-band EQ- powered by a Seymour Duncan preamp.
The hardware is a set of Schaller super light vintage tuners and a Schaller 2000 bass bridge, both in a satin chrome finish.
I'm really looking forward to delivering this one and hear my client's comments. He seems to be on tour so I don't know when I'll get to meet him. In the meantime, here are some pictures:
The other instrument was a new M2 to a client in the UK.
The body is ash and the neck is wenge/maple with a spruce core, 24 frets, 16'' radius and locking tuners.
The pickups are Seymour Duncan Cool Rails (n), Vintage Rails (m) and Hot Rails (b), with one volume and one tone, a 5-way switch and a push/push switch in the tone control to split the bridge and neck pickups..
This one has also a Schaller vintage tremolo. I have to admit I've never owned a guitar with a tremolo, and never had to set up one either (let alone route a body to fit one!). It was a very interesting job to make all the new routing templates and actually routing the body without having the bridge to double check. I keep determined to make my own molds and templates for everything -instead of buying standardized, generic templates from lutherie providers- so this one was a bit difficult. I chose to draw everything in the computer to check all measures, and as the bridge didn't arrive I just went ahead and did the routing so I could start finishing the guitar. Fingers crossed... it was perfect!
This client wanted .009'' gauge strings and a very low action. It's been a long time since I play .009's and boy, what a pleasure! Here are the pics: