December updates

This month I traveled to Oslo to show the new 22-fret KV and the bass prototype. Both instruments were very well received!

I was really interested in getting feedback for the bass, I was confident the weight balance, looks, and overall feel of the body were good, but I was curious to hear a bass player's thoughts on how the instrument actually performed and played. Fortunately it was all good! My client still has the bass with him, and even took it into the studio for some recordings the week after I met him.

Him and I went over every detail, to have a clear idea of how his new bass' look and setup would be. This is what we decided:

The body will have a central block in ash, with wings in African mahogany. In order to make the visuals more subtle, I'm mixing thin strips of both wood types to transition from one block to the other. The top is in Indian rosewood with a thin maple strip in the middle.

Gluing the body

Gluing the top

The roughly shaped body and cavities

The neck is similar to the previous neck: a wenge/mahogany/maple block with a spruce core; a wenge fingerboard (this time with a 12'' radius); a 2-way truss rod with two carbon fiber reinforcements; and finally the head, which will be in maple (we'll probably add to it a rosewood veneer to match the top, although that hasn't yet been decided). 

Carving the belly cutout

Fretwork

All reinforcements ready to be glued

When it comes to electronics, I'm looking forward to putting it all together! The pickups will be a set of hand wound Antiquity II pickups from Seymour Duncan (one J-bass and one P-bass) for that vintage 60's sound. But it will be possible to toggle between active and passive modes. The passive circuit will have 2 volumes + 1 tone, like with the prototype. Switching to active, the same two volume controls will be hooked to a 3-band EQ and a "slap"-switch. It'll be a nice challenge to solder all those wires and have the electronics cavity look nice and tidy. I'm hoping too, that the instrument will be a good all-rounder, for those times when carrying several instruments just isn't an option.

A new M2

Another project I've been slowly working on, is a new M2 that was ordered last month. This time the order came from the UK, my first electric ordered from abroad! The guitar will have an all-ash body and the standard 24-fret sandwiched neck, but it will include some niceties that I haven't done before, and that I'm looking forward to try: a Strat-style tremolo and locking tuners. In addition to this, my client wanted me to inlay fret markers to match the rectangular side markers I've been using. After discussing several options, we agreed on small rectangular marks against the fret wire, you can see the results below.

Carving holes for the markers

Gluing the maple blocks

The radiused and sanded fingerboard, ready to lay the frets

Fretwork

The body block is ready for routing and shaping, although this time I need new templates for the tremolo cavities. My objective from the get go, has been to make my own templates from scratch, instead of using commercially available, universal templates. I ordered the new tremolo and tuners in late November, but won't get them before January. I won't rout the body until I can test the templates, so for this one, me and my client will have to be patient.

I've received comments and questions about my work through other channels, but if you have questions or just like what I'm doing, please leave your comments right in this page!

Happy holidays!